• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar Of Jason ZieglerJason Ziegler
    Participant

Hi all, I’m a new/beginner/aspiring hand tool woodworker. Like many others I’ve found Will Myers’ excellent video on building the Moravian workbench. I’m happy to see so much discussion on Moravian benches on this forum! I’m wrapping up the trestles and starting the long stretchers now. I’ve been thinking about what I’m going to do for a face vise. Originally I’d been planning on using the wooden screw that Will uses from Lake Erie Toolworks but I’m starting to wonder if I should reconsider. I noticed Lake Erie also sells nice looking cast iron face vises from Milwaukee Tools for about the same cost. I’ve never used a wooden screw vise before so I’m not sure what would be best for me. I’m so new I don’t have a good grasp of pros and cons or other alternatives. I’d love it if others with more experience could chime in with their thoughts. I like the traditional appeal of the wooden screw but ultimately seek performance and longevity as well.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • Avatar Of Christopherorsochristopherorso
      Participant

In my limited experience, I believe a leg vise is the most versatile vise for a workbench. I have an Acer-ferrous wooden screw on mine (similar to Lake Erie) and am pretty sure it will outlive me. You can also use a metal screw in as a leg vise if that’s what you prefer.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.