• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar Of Jesse_Colosimojesse_colosimo
    Participant

Hello, I’m just getting into working with handtools and found this plane with some of my grandfathers things. I was hoping someone could help me figure out what model Stanley it is. The plane is 9.75” long. Markings of 10 1 X Q on the underside of the blade area. I’ve attached pictures. Thank you for your help, -Jesse

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • Avatar Of Joshua FarnsworthJoshua Farnsworth
      Keymaster

Not sure what the exact model is, but it’s definitely a later handplane, based on the lower quality materials they used. They used steel instead of brass for the screws, they used a folded metal lever, etc.

• Avatar Of `Janet Elmore`janet elmore

Hi !

I’m actually learning violin making in Switzerland. I both a Lie-Nielsen Plane number 101 (this is the one that are using fast every villain maker) and I won’t to buy another in a bigger size for preparing the wood and for other woodstuffs to. I think i’m gonna buy an old plane because i don’t have so much money and a lie nielsen or a veritas n4 coast a lot.(but I really don’t wont to buy a cheap one on dictum, i’m searching for quality).

So i’ve seen a lot of old planes on eBay and i found that.
      https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Stanley-Bailey-Plane-NO-4-1-2-Vintage-Patina-Tool-Hobbyist-Craftsman-941/174239918909?_trkparms=aid%3D777001%26algo%3DDISCO.FEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160801204525%26meid%3D751f5709a0eb470f8773417fff2cdacf%26pid%3D100651%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dnone%26itm%3D174239918909%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26algv%3DPersonalizedTopicsRefactor&_trksid=p2380057.c100651.m4497&_trkparms=pageci%3A6ac19184-7995-11ea-b608-fe36c0464145%7Cparentrq%3A59c9b52f1710a4b7b72bb916fff0900c%7Ciid%3A1
      I’m going anyway to make new handles in boxwood, make it flat and maybe change the blade. But I think you maybe can tell me more about the quality of this model so i’m asking for your opinion.

Thank you so much and have a good evening !
      Stay healthy in this tough time :)

Noé Gremaud

Keymaster

Keep looking

Noé,

Thanks for your question! That plane is a later Stanley, which isn’t as good as the earlier models. You’ll notice that it doesn’t have a brass adjusting wheel and screws. I’d personally keep looking. Check out my handplane buying guide to assist you with your search: https://woodandshop.com/woodworking-hand-tool-buying-guide-handplanes/

• Avatar Of `Janet Elmore`janet elmore

Thank you so much for your answer !
      And from which type of Stanley plane is it interessant to buy ? Has a 13 or 14 Stanley type good quality ?
      (sorry for my english, my mother language is french)

Keymaster

Yes, those are good types. I usually try to look for handplanes that have the 1910 or 1902 patent date on the sole. Those are good eras.

à votre santé!

• Avatar Of Rex HaislipREX HAISLIP
      Participant

The Blue Stanley that you have 9 3/4 inch long sole and iron is 2 in. edge. It was made in during the 1950’s Stanley Two-Tone OH4 smoothing plane and the frog is same as Handyman 1204 that Two-tone had straight slot lever cap. The H1204 have kidney hole lever cap and some sole is shorter like no foot at front of front knob. H1204 also have black knob. The H1205 which is a 14 inch long smoothing plane have nickel plated cap while H1204 lever cap is color gray japanned paint. I have have question about my vintage No.110 Some blade came from No.100 which shows 3 side at top of iron and only these words were mark, “MADE IN USA” and it is connect to No.110. The half-round top of iron cutter 1 5/8 inch edge have these mark, “Stanley” with 12 lines around the word, STANLEY. 12 Line looks like battery both side positives sketch. Also below it is mark, MADE IN U.S.A.. These two different font sizes are large letters in the older model block plane and smaller letters in the later No.110 block plane. If that the date of No.110 is true where it is easier for old days to mark it with larger size lettering punch and pressed? So coke bottle cap as part of tension wheel was embossed. The precedent of the tension wheel have 4 holes cast iron wheel. Some have diameter 1.45 inch and some have 1.25 in cast iron. Keen Kutter have 1.5 in. wheel. Then coke bottle
      1 5/8 inch diameter pressed and other size: 1.25″ stamped tension cap head screw (20 tooth/in.) I’ve seen the picture of bucket shape cap for No.110 and it ornamental the cap with its embroiled cast iron.
      I add the jpg photo to the file attachment, it read this file is too big.

• Avatar Of Rex HaislipREX HAISLIP
      Participant

I have study the invention of better wood shaving plane. The table top should be smooth and true to its flatness. It is require minimal cutting depth of plane sharp Iron.
      The bench plane like try plane or smoothing plane have iron that is bedded at 45 degree while the edge of cutter is bevel up. The block plane have its iron’s edge in bevel down where I also called it rake against the work/wood. We know that the Stanley block plane have iron bedded at 20 degree plus the rake of blade 45 degree equals 65 degree which is more like half-scraper and half-plane.
      The table top is zero degree and the blade is cutting should be 20 to 25 degree and it make the table top more flatness than ever. The jack plane is cutting at 45 degree and that is too high.
      When the thick gauge blade of Stanley then it is easier to sharpen the iron in between 40 to 30 degree acute of its steel. Brand new blade could be already 45 degree at the edge from hardware store. So it is precision agreeable to give us the choices of whether the edge is 45 degree bevel and/or 35 degree rake. We should buy the best choice a 35 degree and make the adjustable throat of a plane for wood working require that the mouth have to be open wide to a minimal of 1/2 inch for a width of iron 1 5/8 inches as Craft with Pride to get the 2.2% carbon iron as cutter or Stanley Manganese is a cutter that it is to be bedded 35 degree and install the bevel up iron with attached to the chip breaker and have wedge cap to tighten up the cutter.
      The Stanley block plane No.9 1/2 has adjustable throat but when it open to the maximum it seem to be equal or less than 3/8 inch mouth and that is too small mouth for common 2 inch or 1 5/8″ iron. Same problem for No.60 1/2 Stanley. This invention should be better than an old invention of wood working plane. That makes me real proud.
      The Keen Kutter have iron from block plane that its gauge is very thin as it would be too hard to make choice of either 45 degree or 35 degree or 25 degree bevel at the edge’s rake. Thanks for reading. My company is named Multimobile Design and Gases. The Vice President is hard working professional Natural Gas foreman named Lamar Haislip

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.