• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar Of Tuckercharlestuckercharles
    Participant

I got a second hand elcetric plane (hitachi) and due to some damage, and having to order some new parts, I only got it going today.

It’s got brand new blades on it and all I can say is wow! the finish is absolutely fantastic. So that got me thinking – how much better is the best hand plane, over an electric plane?

Or in tearout situations, would an electric plane be better than a handplane?

I open to the floor for comments?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Participant

Hi tuckercharles,

I have an electric hand plane but have only used it to do some rough stock removal. Because of the rotary motion of the cutting head the surface texture of the worked wood will never come close to that of a properly tuned smoothing plane. As for use in difficult grain woods, an electric plane is at an extreme disadvantage. Like most electric tools, an electric planer is best used to reduce labor in situations where there is a lot of tiring work to be done, not where accuracy and fine finish are the major concern. One of the more interesting uses I have seen of an electric plane is to use it, with curved edge blades and cross grain, to mimic adze and broad axe textures on beams and logs.
      Have fun.

Participant

After using the electric plane run a card scraper over the cut and you will feel the tool marks-can’t see them but they are there.

Participant

Using an electric hand plane will create compressed wood scallops due o the rotary motion. Humidity will swell the compressed wood later. You can wet the surface and then let it dry prior to doing the final surface work in order to minimize effects later. Another hint is to skew the scraper so that it “bridges” the tops of the undulations instead of following them. Be prepared to do additional scraping to get down to the compressed wood or simply use a smoothing plane after doing the rough work with the electric plane. Have fun.

Participant

Please! Leave the electrons alone!

Just joking.

• Avatar Of Frank KermanFrank Kerman
      Participant

Hnad plane

An electric plane is the best than hand plane for furniture. I saw these hand tools on many websites like ToolsBros, etc.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.