• Creator
    Topic
    Avatar Of `Janet Elmore`janet elmore

Hi there, I am new to this forum and am hoping someone might have the knowledge and experience to advise me on some beautiful but badly behaved locally sourced English Oak (I live in the UK) I have been using. I am making a pair of bathroom wall cabinets, and I appear to have gone looking for trouble by using very ‘characterful’ stock to dimension my pieces from. I love all the knots and the twists and turns of the grain, but it is hard work taming it, even with very sharp tools, which I have. The wood is sold as kiln-dried and I am buying 2″ waney edge stock (not because I want the edge, but because that’s how it comes), and my problem is that I bring it into the house to acclimatise for a couple of weeks or so before I start to think about working on it, but within days checks appear all over the boards. To the extent that, I sometimes have to abandon the purpose I had originally intended a specific piece for. I have worked with oak many times before, but it’s always been fairly straight grain, often American, square-cut boards. I know nothing in woodwork necessarily has a straight answer, but is it because the wood hasn’t been seasoned properly? Is it because I am choosing ‘difficult’ boards, and that’s what they’ll do?

And, a secondary question, does anyone have any tips for working with heavily checked boards? :)

Many thanks in advance.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.